Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Blog Maintenance

You may have noticed over the past couple days I have done some blog organizing. I recently read somewhere (I forgot where it was, but please let me know if you saw the same article) that it is super important for readers to have an easy way to navigate your website. You only have a few seconds to interest a reader and potentially gain a new follower so you've got to make your blog easy. If the first post on your page doesn't interest a particular reader, they should still see a simple way to view other things that you've worked on. Hence, my updated button bar.


You can see two new buttons I created on the menu bar - "Projects" and "Recipes." I hope to also add a "Home Tour" button one of these days, but I feel like my house is so far from representing me and my true style that it would be misleading for someone to judge me based on the current state of my house. Regardless, this is what you'll see when you click on the Projects page.


There's a grid of thumbnails of my most popular past projects and I really hope to keep it updated as I complete new ones. My blog is still in its infant stage so there isn't a whole lot, but I welcome you to scroll through, especially if you are a new reader.

The Recipe page is pretty much the same. Yikes, there's only five - better start cooking!!


Do you have any other ideas for making a blog more user-friendly? What are your thoughts on blog navigation?
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. My blog is also relatively new & I have been wanting to make tabs as well. I agree that easy navigation is right up there on the top of the list for grabbing new readers. I am still trying to find a good tutorial on how to make the thumbnails for the different tabs I'll be adding. I think it's such a great way to streamline your pages & make it extremely user friendly. I also decided before I started my blog that I would like to keep my labels to a limit. Even though I love a lot of variety when I visit blogs, I can sometimes get overwhelmed if there are too many labels. It's easier said then done though :) My blog is very new & I find I already have quite a few. I will be going through them & trying to reign them in a little more to keep my sidebar cleaner. Great topic for all of us new bloggers! I'm visiting from A2Z tutorials & tips party.

    ReplyDelete