Sunday, February 5, 2012

T-Shirt to Pillow

My son is obsessed with all things fire truck/fire fighter/fire station related. Last year Gymboree came out with an adorable line of fire engine clothes and we stocked up! One shirt in particular was beloved by my son.
But as all little boys are known to do, he grew so fast and his favorite shirt no longer fit him. I mentioned this in passing to one of his teachers and she gave me the brilliant idea of turning it into a pillow. Genius! Unfortunately, I don't own a sewing machine, nor do I know how to sew. Heat n Bond to the rescue!
This stuff is amazing for people like me who don't know how to sew but still want to do all these fun projects. I cut off the sleeves right above the red part so I was able to use the rest of the seam that was already part of the shirt. I turned the shirt inside out and sealed the sleeves and the bottom like that so the raw edges wouldn't be exposed. Once I sewed ironed those seams, all that was left open was the collar. I got some stuffing from JoAnn Fabrics and put in a nice amount until it seemed really soft. Lastly, I used the heat n bond to close up the top. It was a little tricky to iron a rounded edge that was really puffy, but I think it turned out great!


I recently washed it and was concerned if it would hold up or not. I put it inside a pillow case and washed it on a delicate cycle and let it air dry. I had to fluff it up a little afterwards because the stuffing wasn't perfectly distributed, but it came out just fine. Now he has a favorite pillow to snuggle with!


Linking up here:

Home Stories A2Z

HookingupwithHoH    

3 comments:

  1. Love it ! I'm now scouring ebay looking for that shirt ! My little guy would flip over it. Now I know what i'll do with it when he out grows it too. www.bargainfun.net Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a ROCK STAR! I love this pillow. What a cute idea with a lot of memories! It looks like something from Pottery Barn.

    Thanks for linking up to the party!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable idea! Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't do the same for some of my kid's favorite articles of clothing when they were little (though I think my teen son would be mortified now if I made a pillow out of his favorite Blues Clues underwear ...)

    :)

    So very happy that you linked up to our Pillopalooza slumber party!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete